BG-1027, 1871 California Fractional Gold 50C, Liberty Round PCGS AU58 R4
1871 Gold 50C Liberty Head Round, initial G on obverse. Rarity-4.
- Period Two – Jeweler’s issues struck between 1859 and 1882.
- Redbook Type: Liberty Head / Value & CAL in Wreath
- Made by Robert B. Gray & Co.
Obverse: 13 stars around and initial G and 1871 are under Liberty head. Bust points above 1st star; tiara closer to 7th than 6th star. Same as BG1026 drastically repolished many head details gone. The last 1 in 1871 is thin and footless.
Reverse: * HALF DOLLAR CAL. within wreath. The R in DOLLAR has been repunched and leans to the left. The “L” in CAL is high and tilts to the left. There are 2 berries on the outer branch opposite the R in DOLLAR. No bow.
CCJ 24: EML 55; Burnie 92A; Lee 40C; Doering 365B.
- Die State-1: Before drastic repolishing. See Brasher Bulletin, Vol.7, #2, p.3.
- Die State-2: Drastically repolished.
|Year of Issue||1871|
|Denom Type||California Fractional Gold|
|Numeric Denomination||Gold 50C|
|Mint Location||Private Issue|
|Grade Add On||NONE|
|Is on Sale||No|